Entries in Dark0 (14)
After three and a half years of keeping up a monthly dance chart, I've decided do a little re-branding. CLUB DRIVEL is now what I'm calling the chart, and it will double as a column. I was once an aspiring music writer, so this is something of a return to form for me. With all the hours I spend compiling these charts, I figure there's no reason not to spend a bit more time and write up each track. Write-ups should make the whole thing a bit more useful and visible, and that's a challenge I'm up for. It will be a work in progress for some time to come, but hopefully within a year's time, I will have many of the kinks worked out in terms of formatting, branding, etc.
I will continue posting playlists of the chart in the usual places (8tracks, Spotify, Resident Advisor, and Beatport). So if you're accustomed to streaming the chart, not much will change for you.
If you have followed my charts in the past, I ask that you please blast this around social media and help me get the word out. It would be much appreciated. And now, on with the show.
Full column after the jump.
It's been two and a half years since ANTS offered up an all-grime episode. The decade-old UK music form has dazzled in 2014, so the time has come to examine it once again. The focus this time is "grimegaze," the synth-heavy, melodic strain of grime championed by Dark0 but also practiced by many of the genre's most visible figures. Drawing influences from JRPG soundtracks, ambient and the current reemergence of beat-driven downtempo, these ethereal tracks are breathing new life into grime at a time when many may have predicted its stagnation.
- Moleskin - "Slow Dancing With Ms Haversham to Moments in Love in Satis House" [Keysound Recordings]
- Visionist - "Acceptance" [Lit City Trax]
- Kirk Spencer ft. Celestial Trax - "Rain Drift" [Strangerzoo]
- Last Japan - "Crystal Tokyo" [Circadian Rhythms]
- Dark0 - "Amethyst" [Gobstopper Records]
- Shriekin - "Steel Ships" [Local Action Records]
- JT the Goon - "Twin Warriors" [Oil Gang]
- Slackk - "Hesitate" [Local Action Records]
- Chemist - "Blocks (Last Japan's 'Still Kold' Remix)" [Coyote Records]
- Strict Face - "New Moonlight" [Tuff Wax Records]
- Logos - "Night Flight" [Keysound Recordings]
Baby Armie's dance charts are also available on Resident Advisor. Variations are available on Spotify and Beatport.
- Dark0 - "Gaia" [Gobstopper Records]
- My Panda Shall Fly - "Yapeyú" [Soundway Records]
- Starfoxxx - "Bae HD" [Donky Pitch]
- Liar - "Hyper-Ego" [Infinite Machine]
- DJ Télio - "7 Maravilhas (Damas da Cor do Pecado)" [Príncipe Discos]
- Nozinja - "Tsekeleke" [Warp Records]
- Ikonika - "Wakeup Sequence" [Planet Mu Records]
- Diamond Bass - "Cadaver" [Generation Bass]
- Shinamo Moki - "Heliotrope" [Mush Records]
- Acidalius - "Androm" [Acid Waxa]
Individual streams after the jump.